The newly refined CLAAS PICK UP head, designed for the JAGUAR forage harvester, features a variable, independent drive of the intake auger and pick-up reel that reduces fuel costs and improves pickup capacity.
The redesigned header takes an existing pickup reel and adds a new hydraulic drive, giving it greater adaptability in the field. This allows the pickup reel to be adjusted automatically to the ground speed to match the harvest conditions in the field and the auger speed adjusted automatically to the feed roll speed. In challenging harvest conditions, both speeds can be adjusted manually from the cab, allowing even more accurate crop feeding and consistent crop flow overall.
In order to operate with the dual variable speed header concept, the JAGUAR forage harvester is equipped with an optional dual hydraulic drive, which performs particularly well with the PICK UP. The mechanical drive remains the standard drive option.
While the dual variable speed header drive is designed specifically for use with JAGUAR 502 or 499 models, kits are available to fit other models.
“The ability to adjust your pickup and auger speeds independently is a game-changer for farmers,” says Matt Jaynes, CLAAS Product Manager, Forage Harvesters. “Designed with the farmer in mind, the new PICK UP header saves time and money, and leads to improved harvest results.”
Run the Numbers
Recent North American studies have shown that silage harvesting using the new hydraulic drive resulted in an increase in throughput levels of up to 5.5% in extreme conditions compared to a mechanical drive, along with improved fuel efficiency.
Additional features include:
- New Tires
- New heavy-duty tire for rough conditions.
- Five tine rows
- With improved mountings for longer service life and extremely clean crop take-up.
- Adjustable roller crop press
- With both impressive and effective optimal material transport, the roller crop press is located closer to the intake auger, providing even crop flow.
- Intake Auger
- Equipped with a special wrapped auger tube for stronger forces, two paddles and tension springs, the intake auger are designed for demanding use.
- Optimal ground contouring
- Using an angle sensor, ACTIVE CONTOUR senses ground irregularities in advance, enabling fast operation over hilly terrain while keeping the rake at the proper distance from the ground.
- Ideal accessibility
- With the ability to raise the header hydraulically, it’s more convenient to access the roller crop press and inspect for metal or rocks.
There are more improvements to come for the JAGUAR and headers in 2022, such as standard downed crop drums on the ORBIS headers, optional higher volume silage additive pump and optional special water injection for the JAGUAR crop flow.
For more information about the new PICK UP attachment, visit the product page.